Weekend traveling: Remembering Jerez de los Caballeros

This weekend we didin't do our usual wandering around. It was cold, my partner had just had some sad news from home, and so it was time to stay home, rest and enjoy family life. I must confess that I was led to understand though, how much our saturday short trips are essential to my peace of mind. Being a stay at home mum can be a lot more demanding that it seems. As much as I absolutely love my daughter with every fiber of my being, not having one moment to myself all through the day can be hard on the long run. I make sure we have some sort of social life by getting ourselves out there in Parents and Toddles, breastfeeding groups, library rhyme times and similar. I also do my browsing around local charity shops but only as much as her patience will allow me. Her naps are slept ON me and during the night she must have me by her side, otherwise she won't sleep. Which I have said before, I still love. I now she needs her time to become more and more independent, slowly, and I intend to be here for as long as she needs me and support her during that path. I may gently encourage some sort of independence (for example, falling asleep without being nursed) but I won't push her into independence for my convinience. That being said.....have I mentioned how demanding it can be?


Once upon a time I was a reasonable writer. I could put my thoughts into words easily and add a bit of humour to that along the way. Lately, I seem to have what people call a 'mum-brain'. And a 'mum-brain' may not be the best adviser for writting.....


Oh well, all this to say, going somewhere every saturday is more important for my sanity than I thought. It is a family time I really apreciate and it keeps us all distracted for some hours. Being away from friends and family and haven't yet built new relationships around here, it is nice to do something different on a regular basis.


Considering all this, I was led to remember when we used to travel before Beatriz was born. And searching my digital albuns I found this particular saturday trip, to a little town in the South of Extremadura in Spain. It was nearly one year ago and I remember perfectly being surprised by the size of my belly when I saw my reflection anywhere. My bump was really starting to show and it felt so strange and amazing at the same time that that person with the big belly was me! Ok, looking at that bump now, it is not THAT big.....but it certainly felt like it for someone who was new to all that bump-business!


Jerez de los Caballeros is a beatiful peaceful place to visit by the way.








 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four weddings and a comunion....