The deep divers

For years I thought that maybe I was weak. Because I didn't live life like others. For years I thought that maybe I was broken. My life missed the external skeleton others seem to have so easily.. For years others thought me eccentric, because my priorities differed from theirs. For years I thought I lacked bravery, because I didn't show up every day in a shiny armour, waving my weapons around. For years I thought I had more downfalls than most, because I could not pretend to have the qualities they spoke of.


But now, as I grow older I wonder.... What's braver than showing up dressed as you, when so much of the world walks around as in a masquerade? Does my life really lack substance, just because I failed to give it a shape everyone else seems to recognise easily? And what do words mean anyway, when actions fail to support them? 




Now I am able to value the fact that I have always been honest with myself. That I never let the image of the person I wanted to believe overpower the person I really was. That if I judged myself harshly was not because I was any less than others, but often because others just didn't go that deep. 


Shallow waters are not for me. I refuse to spend my days embellishing the surface, staying untouchable, irreproachable. I will dive deep and get seaweed on my hair and sand in my face. I will look messier but live more intensely. And I will find my tribe there, amongst the deep divers, the messy haired souls, the ones who dare taking on the consequences of being alive and truthful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Four weddings and a comunion....